Sunday, July 16, 2017

“The Disappointing Illusion of The Familiar”

Life is a grand, ongoing adventure, and an amazing journey! Knowing what I know now, would I change some things about past experiences or decisions if I could? Sure! But would I trade places with ANYONE on the planet? A resounding NO WAY! I am thankful for the process that has led me to where I am. The events, the lessons, the people, the frustrations, and the time invested has had a collective hand in bringing me to the place I am now, and to the man I have become and am becoming. I have a profound sense of thankfulness to God for His mercy, grace, and love for me. My experiences, my relationships, and choices made on my journey have not all been great and enjoyable by any stretch of the imagination; quite the contrary, some of them have been downright forgettable and regrettable. But I can't allow bitterness from the past to pollute my present, or flaw my future. The past has brought me to right now. God is faithful, and has kept me through every chapter, every disappointment, and every rejection. He has led me through every step and every season. In Christ--my true identity--I have the promise of a completed and amazing work in me. He began it, and He will make it thrive, beyond my greatest imagination and fondest hopes!
Experience is certainly a willing, though sometimes calloused teacher on this fascinating journey. I've found that settling for the familiar can be the greatest threat to fulfilling your God given purpose. The children of Israel, Lot's wife, and the rich young ruler all chose the folly of the familiar, and it derailed their destiny.
In my own life, through the leadership and grace of the Holy Spirit I've learned to recognize the familiarity of toxic people, environments, and mindsets from my past that have a way of creating identity crises. When I engage them, and allow them to participate in my life, they can cause me to forget who I am, my purpose, and where I derive my value and significance. Many of them remind me of everything I loathed about my old nature and my misplaced heart. They can have the appearance of being harmless, and they can disarm you with the feeling of the familiar. But make no mistake, they are out to manipulate your identity, sabotage your purpose, and make you a prisoner to fear—fear of man, fear of rejection, or a fear of failure. I am learning to identify where some of the pitfalls and vulnerabilities can hang out, and how insecurities I allowed to take root in the heart, as a result of some of my life experiences, can hide in subtlety, lurking behind faces and places. They will try to reemerge at every opportunity to distort God’s purpose for my life. These mindsets, systems, people, and environments wreaked havoc on my emotions, my self-confidence, and my identity. Reminders of what I hated in my own life were often awakened when I got around certain people in certain environments, and I listened to the conversations that emerged, as hearts were revealed, and motives were unearthed, reminding me of what God mercifully led me out of.
Sometimes the familiar has a way of pulling us back time and time again because it seems safe and comfortable. But giving in to it leaves you feeling unfulfilled, insufficient, misguided, and out of focus. Once God invites you to engage in His much grander purpose for your life, nothing less will ever satisfy or fulfill that deep calling and longing inside, and you will always feel incomplete as long as you attempt to entertain the familiar and settle for such a less than, shallow and superficial existence. Answering His invitation can oftentimes bring you to a place of solitude, loneliness, and silence, as you leap “blindly” into the wide-open spaces that you’ve never before experienced. The leap is completely safe though, for He is carrying you, carrying you beyond the clamor of the crowd, the praise of your peers, the noise of the naysayers, and the opinions of the oppressive. And He’s calling you to His heart, to a Grace filled existence, to an acute awareness of His presence, and to a keen sensitivity to His voice. It’s a place beyond the grip of your control or ability to manipulate the outcomes. He has freely given to you the abundant Life in Christ, filled with Kingdom opportunity, significance, and purpose.
Yes, it may be unfamiliar, but you have been prepared for this, and He has prepared it for you. You can’t give in to the illusion of “safe” that the familiar will offer. The familiar fights faith at every turn. But only faith can take you to your destiny. You’ve been created IN CHRIST before the earth was formed to live the humanly unimaginable life! As we remain willing to allow His spirit to conform us to our true identity, He will take us through the unfamiliar into the most secure, rewarding existence we could ever imagine. And that life is for now—His kingdom coming and His will being done IN EARTH as it is IN HEAVEN! The familiar experiences, people, or places can never make that kind of guarantee.

"For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because[g] the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,[h] for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be[i] against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.[j] Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
--Romans 8:22-39 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment